As we move into the ever-changing world of home and hybrid working, productivity is no doubt at the top of everyone's minds.
To ensure team members are able to be productive wherever they are working, your companies ergonomics policy may need a refresh. In fact, companies around the world are integrating ergonomics deeply into all of their operations. When we look at the benefits of an effective ergonomics policy it is easy to see why.
Benefits of a Refreshed Workplace Ergonomics Policy
1. Decreased Costs. By systematically reducing ergonomic risk factors, you can prevent costly musculoskeletal injuries. With approximately $1 out of every $3 in workers compensation costs attributed to MSDs, this represents an opportunity for significant cost savings. Also, don’t forget that indirect costs can be up to twenty times the direct cost of an injury.
2. Improved Productivity. The best ergonomic solutions will often improve productivity. By designing workstations to create good posture, less exertion and fewer motions, the team's workflows become more efficient.
3. Improved Quality. Poor ergonomics leads to frustrated and fatigued team members that don’t do their best work. When the job task is too physically taxing on team members, or their workstation is causing aches and pain, they may not be able to perform to the best of their ability.
4. Increased Employee Engagement. Team members notice when a company is actively prioritising health and safety. On top of this, when team members are supported to work with good ergonomics, it can reduce turnover, decrease absenteeism, improve morale and increase employee involvement.
5. Overall Culture of Safety. The cumulative effect of the previous four benefits of ergonomics is a stronger safety culture for your company. Healthy team members are your most valuable asset, and creating and fostering the safety & health culture at your company will lead to better team performance for your organization.
Hybrid-working is forcing us to rethink not only how we work, but is allowing organisations to take a deep and hard look into culture. Taking a 'wellbeing first' mindset and embedding that into your teams' daily routine can only mean one thing, improved productivity and an enhanced ergonomic setup.
Healthbox has been helping organizations large and small throughout New Zealand since 2006 create ergonomic policies and programme that drive positive health and productivity outcomes. Contact us to learn how Healthbox can help you to refresh your ergonomics policy, improve your teams' wellbeing and increase your company's productivity.
Statistics sourced from here.